Friday, July 30, 2010

Getting Personal - Sharing My Hearts

Aside from designing and selling jewelry on-line, one of my other passions is my heart collection.  I have been collecting heart shaped items since the early 80's.  As a jewelry designer, I fight hard not to make too many heart shaped pieces, although I sneak them into designs here and there.  My first heart was a red double heart shaped candle with "Audrey's Hearts" written in gold.  I have hearts of all kinds and shapes.  The list is endless -- heart shape candle holders, salt and pepper shakers, a Dutch oven,  pictures frames, snow globes, a slinky, coffee cups, Christmas tree ornaments, pillows, a wicker basket, trinket boxes, silk scarves, banks, crystal, bowls, a heart embossed picture album, a candy dish, flower vases, wall decorations, picture holders, earrings, necklaces, bracelets -- you get the picture!

Not just any heart will do.  The hearts that I choose for my collection must be beautiful or interesting.  One of my biggest surprises one year was a Christmas gift from a boss who knew I collected hearts.  It was a fairly large brass ornately carved box.  I was thrilled because the brass box was so beautiful, but the silk scarf inside was simply breathtaking.   My most cherished piece is a Lenox glass crystal encrusted heart trinket box that has a beautiful large pearl in the middle which my late Mom gave me as a Christmas gift.  It is the first heart that I have shared today.  I hope that you enjoy this small sampling of my heart collection.  





Designed by Audrey will have a booth this Saturday at the St. Joseph's  Parrish Flea Market in support of its choir.  The event will begin at 8:00 a.m. and end at 1:00 p.m.  If you live in the Washington, DC area come out and support this effort.  The church is located on Route 202 in Largo, MD.  As always, you can check out my on-line shops and view some really beautiful and awesome jewelry on Artfire at www.DesignedbyAudrey.Artfire.com and  also on Etsy at DesignedbyAudrey.Etsy.com.