Friday, July 9, 2010

Perhaps Too Much of a Good Thing!

Designed by Audrey had a booth at the 55th Anniversary Celebration of Evangel Temple in Upper Marlboro, MD.  There were over 500 vendors at this event which was held on Saturday, July 3, 2010.  There was food, food, food, everywhere and of every kind.  All you can eat steamed crabs and there was barbecue, fried fish, curried chicken, exotic drinks, cookies, cakes, ice cream, and all kinds of snacks.  You name it, there was a vendor selling it. There were gospel bands and groups performing, a DJ, moon bonce, health fair, a movie and fireworks. 

It was a hot sunny day, not heat wave hot, but still hot and my son was on hand to help me set up and tent.  I really appreciate all that he did for me!  The event was well attended but as it turned out, it was just too much stuff for sale. A sea of vendors took up three sections of  Evangel's huge parking lot.  I made my booth fee and handed it over to my sister-in-law who had made all of the arrangements for this event for us. She made her booth back as well.  I was tired and disappointed when I left the event because I felt we did so poorly.  However, when I reflected on it later during some quiet time, I realized that we were blessed to get any sales because there were many all around us who sold absolutely nothing! 

What I learned from this experience:  I wouldn't do an event with this many vendors unless it was a major event like a county or state fair.  Evangel Temple is a mega church (and I must say, it is as beautiful on the inside as outside) however., the ratio of vendors verses attendees was way off.  It was a free for all which turned out to be too much of a good thing for everyone but the food vendors and those (including me) enjoying it all!

The items pictured are items recently sold.  For a look at more beautiful jewelry and accessories, you can check out Designed by Audrey at www.designedbyaudrey.etsy.com and www.designedbyaudrey.artfire.com and now on  Handmade Spark - Designed By Audrey