Saturday, May 22, 2010

Designed by Audrey Goes Live on the Web

Hello, I'm Audrey of Designed by Audrey and this is my hobby blog.  I am a jewelry designer and crafter in the Washington, DC area.

Well, it took a lot of hard work and a lot of hours but Designed by Audrey went live on March 10, 2010. I began adding content on March 26, 2010.  My jewelry designs can be found on Etsy.com and the link to my shop is designedbyaudrey.etsy.com. I have hand-crafted over 300 pieces of jewelry -- necklaces, bracelets, earrings, bookmarks, key rings and rings. They come in a variety of colors, size, styles, materials, stand alone or in sets. My items are reasonably priced at a variety of price points.  I even have a section in my shop where I have fashioned really pretty earrings, bracelets and rings  for $10.00 and under. It is an exciting time for me.

It all started in November of last year when my favorite necklace came apart. I loved it too much to push it to the side, so I decided that I would fix it myself. I did research on the internet and have come to realize that just about anything you need to do, there is someone on YouTube doing it and sharing! Once I figured out what pliers and other materials I needed, I decided to buy a jewelry making kit. While practicing and getting used to the the pliers I realized that it was really relaxing and enjoyable. So once I had repaired my favorite necklace, I started buying beads and findings.  I began making mostly earrings, then I graduated to bracelets and finally necklaces. Before long I had a lot of jewelry. I gave a lot of it away at Christmas and it was well received and all were surprised when they realized that I had actually made each piece. As time went on I continued to buy beads and make items and realized I had way too much to give away and decided that I would try my hand at selling what I was making.  Well, it has been a little over a month and my jewelry and my Etsy shop is off to a running start for I have sold over 30 items.

I use a lot of different materials -- semi-precious stones like Agate, Jasper, Coral, Opalite, Jade, Rhondonite, Howlite, Hematite, Turquoise, Fluorite, Quartz, Abalone Shell, Potato Pearls, Mother of Pearl, Marble etc., etc. The choices are endless. I use all kinds of glass -- Swarovski Crystals and pearls, Czech glass, Indian glass, Lampwork, Chevron, White Heart, Millefiori, Fire Polished, Picasso, etc. The findings that I use are mostly gold and silver plated in gold, antique gold, silver, antique silver, copper, antique copper, raw brass, antique brass and gun metal.  All findings are lead and nickel free.  For those sensitive still, I have Sterling Silver and Gold Filled Findings. Again the choices in materials to my jewelry with are limitless. I love working with beads!  At the present time my designs are simple, but the variety come in the beads and findings used. 

I'm just sharing and will be posting more in the future to keep you abreast of what's going on with my jewelry making hobby, my shops, what events I will be participating in and tips and ideas for jewelry making.

Thanks for stopping by Designed by Audrey's 411.